In 1959 alterations were made to the façade and all of the floors of the building, which largely removed its streets presence and its historic and architectural association with the nearby Army and Navy premises. These mid-20th century alterations obscured the former warehouse use and its architectural impressiveness, only retaining the ground floor columns.
Eventually the building was converted for office use and was extensively redeveloped in the 1980s into its current layout and appearance.
Today, the building remains in a similar condition to how it looked after the 1959-1961 alterations. At various times since the 1960s, permission was granted to redevelop the site for offices and car parking, but these schemes were never implemented. From 2000, cafes and shops have been inserted into the ground floor.
The proposed scheme has been carefully designed to account for the historic character and appearance of the original building. We propose to use a brick elevation to the street which helps to re-establish the features of the original warehouse, which was once common in the area.